One year ago Renee' & I were out to dinner with our parents enjoying the evening while the kids were at home with our baby sitter. At dinner we got a call from our babysitter that she saw some smoke coming out of
our upstairs bathroom vent and that she got everyone outside and called
911. Needless to say we moved quickly to get
back home. On our way down our street we saw 4 fire engines, fire
hoses across the street and a lot of fire fighters....reality began to
sink in. Unable to get down the street we parked and quickly walked to
our home along with half of our neighborhood. There we were met with
our kids and babysitter....although we knew they were safe, it was
great to see their faces. You can see more about that day on our blog post Counting Our Blessings.
It is amazing how something like that can change your perspective on life. As important as our house and all that is in it, including our studio, and decades of memories, it is amazing how it paled in comparison to seeing our children walking down the sidewalk towards us. Those next couple of months were a blur of remote living with 4 kids including a 2 week old, insurance claims, moving out of our house, and moving back in. With all of the stress and inconvenience behind us, we are so grateful that all it was, was inconvenience that would soon be over. With the source of the fire being wiring smoldering in insulation, we were only hours away from going to bed with the unknown burning in the attic above us.
In hindsight it is all like a bad dream...still a little shooken up but our family and life being intact. I am eternally grateful to God for sparing us from so much worse than inconvenience. All's well that ends well, a couple months later we created Lauren's First Video (a tradition for us with all of our kids), we didn't plan the story to play out that way, but it serves as a constant reminder of what God spared us from and what a beautiful gift Lauren was, the calm in the middle of our storm (Lauren's First Video).